Bug page polish

Hello Launchpaderos and Launchpaderas,

I've been thinking about the bug page. I've had a few attempts at creating wireframes of what it could look like, but no matter how much I try, I always get taken down a path that requires radical changes. Considering this is the most used page in Launchpad, radical changes need to be made sensibly and ensure that they are verifiable better. So, I will start working on different layouts while I discuss it with different people and through the list, and we can slowly produce something that works well for everybody.
Problems I'm trying to solve:

- Show the relationship between bugtasks better. Where did the bug originate? Where was it fixed? What is it blocked on? In general, if a bug has a bugtask on a package and on upstream, it's pretty safe to say that it depends on upstream fixing it first. If it was first reported in the package, we have origin. Some of this may require data model changes, some of them don't. Lets explore what we want to do first.

- "Also affects..." is a mess. You can create another bugtask with 3 different options (Also affects project, Also affects distribution and Target to release). Target to release doesn't do what most people expect, because it targets it to a series. A release comes from a milestone. We need to improve the flow there, maybe collapse the "Also affects..." into one picker that selects packages or products.

- Descriptions should be more prominent. They describe the bug, they should be more visible.

- Related branches is too vague. If there's a branch linked to a bug, what you're really saying is "this probably fixes it". We probably want to show if there are any merge proposals attached to that branch, when it was last updated, and maybe even let you subscribe to it from the bug.

- The subscribers portlet is too long. We have a mockup from a previous sprint on a way to fix that, collapsing all the sections, giving you the description on why they are subscribed in a tooltip and cutting it off after a number of subscribers. Maybe you don't need to show my name on there if there's already an unsubscribe button?

- Adding attachments workflow needs to be finished off. Ajaxified, show them in a better way than squished in small a box on the bottom right, attached patches should be shown in the same place as linked branches, and images, in a perfect world, should show a thumbnail.

- You should be able to specify that a new tag is an official one, if you have permissions on the project.

- Tell me how much the bug affects users. Show me the number, show be a flame, but show me something.

- Maybe h1's should be a bit smaller in general, so we don't have so many titles that wrap?

- Being on a roll here, how about highlighting the reporters' comments? His comments will most likely be very important.

Phew, having gotten all of that out of my head, here's what I think we should do for the immediate future:

1) Collapse activity information and comments like we do for emails. It's way too noisy today.

2) Tweak the bugtask table so the status and importance don't use so much width of it unnecessarily, add   between all edit buttons and it's object

3) Add more whitespace between the links below the table and the description and whitespace between tags and related branches

Apologies for the long email, and the people who got to the end, you are now my friends.

--
Martin

Follow ups