Re: Bug page polish

Martin Albisetti wrote:
> Hello Launchpaderos and Launchpaderas,
>
> I've been thinking about the bug page. I've had a few attempts at
> creating wireframes of what it could look like, but no matter how much I
> try, I always get taken down a path that requires radical changes.
> Considering this is the most used page in Launchpad, radical changes
> need to be made sensibly and ensure that they are verifiable better.
> So, I will start working on different layouts while I discuss it with
> different people and through the list, and we can slowly produce
> something that works well for everybody.
> Problems I'm trying to solve:
>
> - Show the relationship between bugtasks better. Where did the bug
> originate? Where was it fixed? What is it blocked on?  In general, if a
> bug has a bugtask on a package and on upstream, it's pretty safe to say
> that it depends on upstream fixing it first.

Why?  I would think we have the option of fixing it first and then
propagating the fix to upstream?

> - Related branches is too vague. If there's a branch linked to a bug,
> what you're really saying is "this probably fixes it".

Not always.  Sometimes you're saying "this mitigates it."  Sometimes
you're saying "this branch makes one of several changes required to fix
it."  (Today, I'm landing a branch of
lp:~launchpad-pqm/lp-production-configs/trunk that is a prerequisite for
switching to an updated bzr version, which will mitigate oopses like
OOPS-1389UPD44)

 We probably want
> to show if there are any merge proposals attached to that branch, when
> it was last updated, and maybe even let you subscribe to it from the bug.

We should probably send out email notifications when such a merge
proposal is created, too.

> - Adding attachments workflow needs to be finished off. Ajaxified, show
> them in a better way than squished in small a box on the bottom right,
> attached patches should be shown in the same place as linked branches,
> and images, in a perfect world, should show a thumbnail.

And for patch attachments, provide a way to propose it for merging?

I think it would also be interesting to explore pinning a comment as the
description like web forms often pin posts, rather than having the
description and comments be completely separate things.

Aaron