Re: use in production environment

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 13:36 +0100, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a second question regarding LaunchPad. As said, compiling it
> out of the sources worked well thanks to the help of the mailing list.
> However, I'm not convinced that for a production site, the open source
> edition is the right choice. Are there any stable branches or upgrade
> paths that can be applied for production sites? As far as I know, I
> only can get the bleeding edge version from time to time, wich means
> adjusting configuration files, checking for new features and the like.
>
> Honestly, is the open source LaunchPad ready for a production
> environment, or should it be considered just as an option for
> developers to work on the code, but not for hosting their own projects
> with it?

https://code.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad has a list of the branches of
launchpad. Canonical doesn't carry a patchset outside of those branches
- though our deployed branch is not up to date with devel, as we do QA
at each release, but the patches landed to stablise production are all
published.

Launchpad isn't designed or intended to be used by single developers as
a self-hosting site - its a gargantuan piece of code, with many moving
parts. If you just want to host your projects, its much easier to get a
high quality solution using the launchpad.net instance of Launchpad. If
you want a customised version, you can often get that by submitting
patches to make the launchpad.net instance behave how you want.

If you do want to run a full hosting site, the the open source code -
the same code Canonical stablises and hosts - is totally suitable as a
base. However it cannot be deployed 'as-is'.

Minimally, you *have to*:
- rebrand it
- QA your deployment
- develop the operation experience needed to admin the servers, do
  backups etc.

I looked on the faq for the rebranding stuff, but I couldn't see it
there - perhaps someone else knows where that is documented.

-Rob