Re: How long does it take you to SSH to bazaar.launchpad.net?

Francis J. Lacoste wrote:
> On October 26, 2009, Guilherme Salgado wrote:
>> Did you have that ControlMaster trick enabled in your ssh config and
>> an open connection to bazaar.lp.net when you got those numbers? I
>> wouldn't be surprised if not, as you were in the London office, but
>> others might have it enabled and have forgotten about it.

From my office in West London:

0m0.389s
0m0.320s
0m0.706s
0m0.321s
0m0.225s

and with a ControlMaster alive:

0m0.218s
0m0.093s
0m0.100s
0m0.097s
0m0.096s

> Where is this trick documented again? I don't have it, but it would probably
> make sense to enable it.

man ssh_config, essentially.

Basically, you set a ControlPath in your .ssh/config - e.g. like so:

ControlPath ~/.ssh/mux-%r@%h:%p

and then when you feel like it, you can fire up a ssh connection like so:

ssh -oControlMaster=yes -f -N bazaar.launchpad.net

which will be a ControlMaster, by listening on an AF_LOCAL socket and
allowing other ssh processes to multiplex their connection requests down
the existing tunnel, avoiding TCP and SSH connection setup time.

(-f - go to the background after connection established,
 -N - do not run any command )

It certainly speeds up, say, pulling all the branches in an entire LP
sourcecode directory!

Max.