Re: branch-distro.py run for Ubuntu release

Michael Hudson wrote:
> James Westby wrote:
>> On Thu Oct 29 14:42:59 +0000 2009 James Westby wrote:
>>> This means that in probably the next 2-24 hours I will get a notification that
>>> lucid is created and we should create the branches for it.
>> I have just recieved this notification. Lucid is now created and so we can
>> create branches for it.
>
> I'll work with a LOSA to get this done today.

So we couldn't run it today because I forgot that the script I wrote
equired adding a user to the database config of the production database
until after the people who can approve this had left for the day :-(

Assuming such approval can be gotten tomorrow, here's what needs to be
done:

1) Get approval to add the 'branch-distro' dbuser from the first hunk of
https://pastebin.canonical.com/24075/ to the production database, and
allow codehost@crowberry to connect as this user.

2) Run this command on crowberry:

/srv/bazaar.launchpad.net/production/mwh-rev-8539-plus/scripts/branch-distro.py ubuntu karmic lucid

Save the output somehow.  You can measure it's progress by seeing how
many branches are at https://code.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid (it
should produce as many there as there are official branches in lucid,
which is a little under 16000).

3) The script may fall over, in which case the right thing to do is
restart it.  If it seems to be repeatedly falling over without making
progress (you can run with -v to check this) debugging will be required.
I recommend jml for this job :-)

4) If eventually the script completes successfully (it will likely take
~6 hours judging by our staging tests, production might be faster or
slower), run

/srv/bazaar.launchpad.net/production/mwh-rev-8539-plus/scripts/branch-distro.py ubuntu karmic lucid --check

Save the output and tell me and James W. (at least) where it is.

I'm sorry for not thinking through how we'd run this on production :(

Cheers,
mwh