Re: Dogfooding Launchpad for real (or, new tag: "lp-dogfood")

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 04:36:17PM +0000, Jonathan Lange wrote:
> Hello Launchpadders,
>
> One thing we talked about at the team lead sprint a few weeks back was
> what would it take to dogfood Launchpad for real. The result of the
> discussion was that it would be a fair chunk of work and wouldn't
> deliver much of value to most of our users.
>
> With my Product Strategist hat on, I agree.
>
> But let's just say that I didn't agree. Well, then I'd write an email
> an awful lot like this:
>
> = The problem =
>
> Launchpad has a project group called 'launchpad-project' and many
> subprojects, one for each team or component (depending on how you want
> to slice it). Examples include malone, soyuz and launchpad-code.
> However, there's really only one project, 'launchpad', which has its
> code in one place.
>
> The reasons we don't just have one project, AIUI, are:
>   * too hard for teams to manage their bugs -- too much clutter
>   * ummmm...
>
> But there are all sorts of negative consequences from us going against
> the grain of Launchpad's design:
>   * the dupe finder works poorly
>   * milestones and series are harder to manage overall, since they
> have to be duplicated

I wouldn't say these are problems that will be solved by abandoning the
use of a project group. Sure, it might make the problem go away for us,
but will it make the problem go away for other people using project
groups?

I'd say we are already dogfooding. We're dogfooding how to use project
groups. Sure, it might not be the best way of using project groups, but
what is the best way? I though that projects within a group is usually
quite closely related, no? Thus you want the dupe finder to work across
project groups, no? And you want to be able to create milestone across
project groups, no? I think these are issue that we should really fix,
not work around them. Or is the grand plan to get rid of project groups
altogether?

>   * confusing for users and new developers
>   * it's somewhat inauthentic

I don't know what you have in mind here. In what way is it confusing,
and is that also something that we maybe should fix, rather than work
around?

--
Björn Tillenius | https://launchpad.net/~bjornt