Re: Proposed schema changes to support generic jobs on the Soyuz build farm

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Julian Edwards wrote:
>>> Does job_type indicate whether it is a BuildPackageJob,
>>> BuildPackageRecipeJob or BuildTranslationsJob?  Or would it be a
>>> subtype?
>> Yes, it would contain an enum which lists all job types possible for
>> the build
>> farm.
>
> Gotcha.  That's slightly different from the way BranchJobs and
> BranchMergeProposalJobs work.  For them, the job_type indicates a
> subtype, e.g. UpdatePreviewDiff.  All BranchMergeProposalJobs use the
> same table, whether they are UpdatePreviewDiffJobs or
> MergeProposalCreatedJobs.  They just store different data in the
> json_data column.

Interesting .. and how is that 'json_data' column working out for you so
far?

> Our original proposal was closer to yours, but we ended up with this
> design because of concerns about creating a new table for every new
> job type.

Interesting trade-off. I don't envisage waves of new job types
(necessitating new db tables) breaking over us all the time but I may be
wrong :)

Best regards

--
Muharem Hrnjadovic <muharem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>