Re: Proposed schema changes to support generic jobs on the Soyuz build farm

On Friday 06 November 2009 15:18:26 Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Just to confirm, how do we expect to pass data for each job type to the
> actual job?  I understand that it will live in the per-job-type-table,
> but since each of these tables might contain different information, how
> do we pass it on to builders (which have no DB access)?

The same way that we do it for package builds.

> I.e. for translations, assuming reasonable amount of decoupling in the
> system, we'll need to pass at least three things around:
>
>   * bzr branch URL/id (to be able to check it out)
>   * relevant product + series or
>   * relevant distribution + series + sourcepackagename
>
> If we are going to be passing them as command line parameters, we might
> as well put that directly into the generic Job table (as another string
> field or existing json_data field?), and get rid of the intermediate
> tables.

We still need the intermediate tables because the Job table doesn't have the
json_data field.

Basically there's two ways that we pass data to the builders:

	1. Parameters on the XMLRPC call.
	2. We can tell them to pull files from the librarian.

In your case you'll need your three pieces of data available on the
intermediate table to pass via the XMLRPC parameters and the builder can check
out the branch from bazaar.l.n, assuming IS are ok with un-firewalling that.