Re: Workflow broken by "different rich-roots"

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2009, at 7:27 AM, Max Bowsher wrote:
>
>> Surely this is a pure Bazaar problem, rather than anything unique to
>> Launchpad?
>
> Perhaps so, in the sense that Launchpad doesn't get involved until later
> in the process.  I know there are plans for LP to help you upgrade the
> format of your branches on LP, so that might help.

I don't think Launchpad can help here, because presumably the differing
rich-rootness is with the default stacking branch, which the typical
pusher won't have write access to anyway.

> OTOH, something more
> helpful than a cryptic error message that most people won't understand
> or know how to fix is essential.

Well, that's bzr's territory again.

>> Hmm... it would be nifty if "bzr init-repo" would create a repository
>> with format "undecided" which would lazily transform into pack-0.92 or
>> 2a depending on the rich-root-ness of the first revision being entered
>> into it :-)
>
> That would be pretty useful.

Would be, wouldn't it. I don't see any other solution here. If this is
something we want to pursue, we need to move fast. To be truly effective
it would need to go out ASAP, by which I mean in bzr 2.0.x, and would
ideally go to karmic-updates too.

Max.