Salmon!

One interesting link I encountered recently is
<http://www.salmon-protocol.org/>. This is an interesting protocol to
allow downstream forums to share commentary back to the source (for
publication or analysis or $whatever).

http://www.salmon-protocol.org/salmon-protocol-summary is quite a short
read.

This may be interesting for Launchpad in a number of ways:
 - we can collect comments made in other forums (such as 'google reader
'shared items', or external registry-like services such as freshmeat)
back against the original items: commits, bugs, projects.

 - where we are hosting discussion relevant to an external object like
we do with bug watches, we could feed those to upstreams that support
salmon.

Perhaps of most interest is that salmon:
 - does not require user accounts in the upstream location
 - builds on OAuth

So it may be a long way towards addressing the issues and concerns we
are facing with forwarded bugs.

Salmon doesn't appear to be finished as yet.

-Rob