Re: Immediate plan for Build Farm generic jobs

Julian Edwards wrote:
> Julian Edwards wrote:
>>> Separately, we need to decide where a recipe lives.  The current
>>> thinking is
>>> "https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/some-package/+recipe/recipe-name";
>>> which seems OK to me (we'd have to trust a bit that this recipe would
>>> build a recipe for some-package in karmic, but that doesn't seem any
>>> different to say branches today).
>> I don't think this is good for a few reasons:
>>  * The URL is too long
>>  * The traversal would fail for a recipe where a source package doesn't exist yet
>>  * The recipe is tied to a series.  Recipes should be independent of a
>> series.
>>  * Why have more than one recipe for one package?
>>
>> My suggestion is:
>> /<distro>/+recipe/packagename
>
> Meh.  So it turns out some of my assumptions are wrong.
>
> Recipes will be merging debian packaging branches, which are
> series-specific.  So the recipe automatically becomes series-specific.
>
> Also, Jono just told me we want more than one recipe for a package
> (daily build, daily with bug fixes, betas etc)
>
> However, my second point still stands.  We need to traverse to a recipe
> before the source package exists.

I don't really get this.  It sounds like the model poking the UI in the
eye.  (If we really have to, we can have the appropriate traverse()
method look ahead in the request and do different things if the next but
one segment is "+recipe").

> Perhaps:
> /distro/series/+recipe/packagename/name
>
> Another thing to consider is the owner.  Do we want to make that part of
> the key data you need to resolve a single recipe?

I don't know (honestly).  It would make the URLs even longer, but would
probably be more consistent with the rest of Launchpad.

Cheers,
mwh