Syncing more than just tip from upstream

Hi all,

I am wondering if we have ever considered syncing more than just tip
from different upstreams?

I know it may make sense with an upstream like GNOME, because:

 * GNOME releases updates on the stable release well after the initial
release, and trunk and move away quite swiftly
 * Very often, maintainers in GNOME branch for a stable release well
before the actual release (sometimes especially because of a string
freeze), doing big changes in the trunk

Why is this important?

 * At least with translations, trunk can start to significantly diverge
in terms of what strings are there (i.e. POT files will change)
 * Sometimes, trunk translations may not be updated throughout the
string freeze period when the stable branch translation is updated, and
we want the latest ones from appropriate branches to get into Ubuntu

I am sure there are other reasons why would this be important and/or
useful, but there are some concerns as well:

 * Does it work today?  I'm going to experiment with a smallish GNOME
project.
 * If it works, does it work optimally?  I.e. will it stack branches so
disk space usage doesn't explode.
 * How are we going to get this happen?

My plan is to try it out and see what works and what doesn't work
already.

Cheers,
Danilo

Follow ups