Re: Getting upstream's trunk code for a package, and data and so forth

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 15:17 +0200, Bjorn Tillenius wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:56:47PM -0600, Jonathan Lange wrote:
> > For those who are interested, the numbers for Lucid are:
> >  - Packages in main: 16143
> >  - Packages in main w/ upstream links: 16
>
> Is an 'upstream link' a link from the package to the upstream project in
> Launchpad? If so, this measurement doesn't make much sense, given how
> packaging links currently work. It's designed so that if no link exist
> for the current series, it will look for a link in previous series.
> Therefore, the user doesn't have an incentive to create links for Lucid,
> if the package already has a valid link for a previous series. Things
> work just as well with a link for a previous series as it works with a
> link for the current series.
>
> What should probably happen here is that we should automatically carry
> over links to new series, either by explicitly copying the links, or
> implicitly by having the Python API take care of things. The only reason
> at the moment to create links for Lucid, is if the package doesn't have
> any link for a previous series, or if you want the project page to say
> that a package exists for the project in Lucid. The latter shouldn't be
> necessary, we should do it for the user. In other words, we should use
> this graph to drive people to register links for Lucid; it's
> unproductive use of their and our time. It would be better use of our
> time to actually fix how packaging works. I know some work was done
> before, so I don't know how much is remaining.

The initialise-from-parent now copies the packaging links from the
parent to the child series. All historic series were updated in
production so that lucid's packaging link are set.

    https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+packaging

Martin and I discussed revising the +packaging page to bring some order
and priority to the information during the 3.0 UI design. We also agreed
that the distroseries page needs a portlet to the right of the info
portlet that show the packages that most need linking.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/