Re: Handling of file:/// urls in the database

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Michael Hudson <michael.hudson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Something that turns out to a bit annoying when you try to test bzr-svn
with Launchpad is that bzr doesn't allow a netloc part in file:// urls
and the launchpad "valid_absolute_url" insists on a netloc in all URLs
(of course it's essentially always 'localhost' in file:// URLs).  This
is a bit stupid for bzr and I'll fix it to accept file://localhost/
URLs, but would it be possible to change this for Launchpad too?

I would think file: URLs are one of the things that valid_absolute_url is supposed to catch, as on the production system it would certainly indicate a mistake or an attack (the database constraint is our second layer of defense after the form validation).

(I won't fix valid_absolute_url just now in case someone can point out sane use cases for allowing file: URLs to be accepted).

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/