Re: Syncing more than just tip from upstream

Danilo Šegan wrote:
> У пет, 20. 11 2009. у 15:45 -0500, Karl Fogel пише:
>> Danilo Šegan <danilo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>> I am wondering if we have ever considered syncing more than just tip
>>> from different upstreams?
>> It seems completely reasonable to me.  What would prevent it right now?
>
> Technical limitations and/or policy which we seem to have[1].

It's a sort of mix of both really.

>  "The main rule for imports is that we usually only import the mainline
> development branch."

For git, this is mostly because there is no way to spell a way to import
a non-mainline branch.

For svn, it's partly that -- with cscvs at least -- imports of trunk and
a branch would have no common history from Bazaar's POV.  This will
change with bzr-svn.

Also, there's the issue that much of the work of importing a trunk and a
non-trunk branch is the same, but we have no way of doing that work
once, which is sort of what this bug is about:

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+bug/485932

Cheers,
mwh