Re: [Branch ~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/devel] Rev 9943: [r=gary][ui=none] change our sourcecode script to honor revisions;

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
>> What if we went to sourcecode branches for anything we patch at all
>> *but* we built eggs from them?
>
> I don't know what you mean.  We already create branches on launchpad
> like lp:~launchpad/bzr/2.0.0-lp whenever we have to patch, and then we
> make distribution tarballs out of them.  Is that what you mean?

I was meaning skip making the tarball, and use the branch directly as
the input for buildout to use to populate the eggs/ directory.

But you point out lower down that there are speed issues in scanning
many branches for updates individually. Hmm. I generally leave a
multi-pull running on sourcecode/ and go do something else, so it
doesn't bother me all that much.

>> Aaron Bentley wrote:
>>> And ultimately, what if we had only a single copy of each package in a
>>> given revision?  Then the versions.cfg could be replaced with a single
>>> revision-id.
>> A caveat: we'd have to branch lp-source-dependencies for every launchpad
>> branch with differing dependency requirements.
>
> No, we can just pull to whatever revision we need.  Maybe not even that.
>  Depends on how good our tool support is.

OK, maybe you don't need more than one branch for
devel/db-devel/stable/db-stable all together, but what about developer
branches outside the primary four?

E.g. during the Python 2.5 sprint, how would that have worked in this
system? There's got to be the possibility for divergent evolution of
dependency versions - e.g. the Python 2.5 sprint has upgraded Zope to
new major versions, and now mainline needs a minor version bump of some
Zope module too.

Max.