Re: Running Windmill tests in buildbot and ec2

Bjorn Tillenius wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 08:35:38AM +1300, Michael Hudson wrote:
>> Bjorn Tillenius wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> next week I'd like us to get rid of the jscheck buildbot builder, and
>>> instead run the Windmill tests in the normal devel and db-devel (and
>>> later also production-devel) builders.
>>>
>>> In order to do this, we need to update all the images. Michael, you did
>>> set up the jscheck builder, right?>
>> Well, the LOSAs set it up at my instruction.
>>
>>> Can you make sure that the LOSAs know
>>> what needs to be added to the devel and db-devel images?
>> The only difference is installing a few more packages, I think.
>>
>>> Also, someone needs to updated the images we use to run tests on EC2.
>>> Who's responsible for that? Again I ask Michael, since you know what
>>> needs to be done, and have updated those images in the past. But please
>>> feel free to delegate to someone else :)
>> If the extra dependencies become part of
>> launchpad-developer-dependencies in the ~launchpad PPA, then updating
>> the EC2 image is really really easy.  And I think it would probably make
>> updating the buildbot images easier too...
>
> Yeah, I was a bit hesitant about adding it to
> launchpad-developer-dependencies, since it's only used for testing on
> non-developer machines, but it's worth adding it anyway, to make it
> easier to update the images. And actually, after playing around with it
> a bit, I definitly want to run the Windmill tests headless locally as
> well. It's so much nicer not having Firefox pop up now and then when
> running 'make jscheck'.

Well, we could have the launchpad-dependencies source package build
another 'launchpad-headless-tests' package or something, but I don't
think it's much extra on a developer system really.

>>> Oh, and I guess PQM will have to be updated as well, since we currently
>>> run tests there for cherry picks, right?
>>>
>>> Ideally the images should be updated on Monday, when PQM is open again.
>>> I don't want to do it earlier, to avoid disrupting any possible rollout,
>>> and I don't want it done much later, since we need to get started
>>> running the tests early, so that we can fix any issues before the 3.1.12
>>> rollout.
>> Monday sounds ambitious but doable.
>
> Yeah, that's why I said 'ideally' :) I suspect it will take a bit longer
> to get everything updated.
>
>> If you can get
>> launchpad-developer-dependencies updated, I can do the EC2 test images
>> on my Monday -- drop me a mail.
>
> You wouldn't happen to know which extra packages were installed to get
> it to work? I'm assuming xvfb needs to be there. But what about firefox,
> which packages where installed to get it to run? Plain 'firefox', or
> something else?

My IRC logs suggest this was the magic line:

apt-get -y install xvfb firefox xfonts-base

(I actually meant to put this in the email I sent yesterday and clearly
forgot, sorry about that).

Cheers,
mwh