Re: Regarding Email Notifications.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Martin Albisetti <argentina@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Brett Cornwall <brettcornwall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 1)Stop sending dupe email notifications
>
> I think this may be the right thing to do, although it will mean that
> duped bugs may get less attention.

I was under the impression that there wasn't consensus about this,
that in fact it is disagreement on this point that has caused this to
not be scheduled yet.  By that I mean, a lot of people say kill the
notifications about duplicates and then some say there is some value
in them and they want it (Martin's example of the person who gets
everything in email and needs the record applies here).

I thought the correct way to fix this is to add state to the bug
subscription and allow people to configure their subscription, i.e.
send me status changes but nothing else, or send me status and
summary/description edits, or send me everything.  This is more work
than just turning off a notification, and will not likely be scheduled
for at least the next couple months.

If I've misunderstood the history here, and there is consensus that
dupe notifications should die, then the bugs team can get this
scheduled.

Sorry that I haven't updated the bug yet with this type of response.
I'll wait until we reach a conclusion here and then update the bug.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge