Re: Regarding Email Notifications.

On Dec 9, 2009, at 10:08 AM, Gavin Panella wrote:

> Having said that, as an "advanced" user, I'd like Launchpad to do more
> of the filtering for me, though still quite coarse-grained, like
> "Basic", "Detailed" and "Everything". My gut feeling is that this
> should be a global setting.

Crazy idea of the day: what if Launchpad supported (a subset of) RFC 3028:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3028.html

This RFC defines a simple mail filter language called Sieve.  I've just started exploring this myself but it seems like it would be in the right ballpark for advanced users.  It's simple and yet powerful enough to perhaps provide the level of control that advanced users want, without opening us up to computational DoS or other security vulnerabilities.  For only-semi-advanced users, we could provide an html front-end to some of the more common conditions and actions.

I /thought/ I'd seen a Python implementation of it, but at the moment I can't find it.

One note: the spec says in $4 that implementations must support 'keep', 'discard', and 'redirect'.  I would suggest that we only support redirect to a validated email address under the user's control.

Anyway, something to think about.

-Barry