Re: launchpadlib release?

Hey,

We're actually going to do a launchpadlib release today. (It's ready to
release, but I'm not doing it myself because gary and salgado want to
test the release process, which itself uses launchpadlib:
https://dev.launchpad.net/HackingLazrLibraries#Releases)

So, I am developing launchpadlib and lazr.restfulclient, but as Gary
says I'm focusing intently on the server side, which means the client
side (launchpadlib and lazr.restfulclient) suffers.

1. I went through the launchpadlib review queue:
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/launchpadlib/+activereviews
There were a lot of branches in there, but almost all of them had been
merged (there was a time when Launchpad thought launchpadlib was managed
by PQM, even though it wasn't, so a merged branch didn't get picked up
as 'merged') or disapproved and not marked 'rejected'. I see one very
small branch that slipped through the cracks in June, and a branch from
July that I thought had landed but now seems to have been reverted--I'm
not sure what's up with that, and I'll investigate today.

2. I also looked at the lazr.restfulclient review queue:
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/lazr.restfulclient/+activereviews
I see two branches from this month, both from non-Launchpad developers.
One of the branches was reviewed but the reviewer forgot to land it. I
was the first Launchpad developer to look at the other one. I'm taking
care of both of those today.

3. There were no pending branches for wadllib or lazr.restful.

So I should definitely pay closer attention to the review queues, but I
don't think there's a huge backlog.

I'll add a section to https://dev.launchpad.net/HackingLazrLibraries on
the review and landing process, because it is a little different from
Launchpad, but it's also easier. If you're a Launchpad dev, you should
feel comfortable developing launchpadlib or lazr.restfulclient.

The reviews don't need to go through me--other Launchpad developers
review my branches all the time, and as jml points out, there were
changes committed (by allenap on behalf of others) to launchpadlib while
I was on vacation. With gary trying out the release process today,
there's now no reason I have to do the releases, either.

I'm interested in the idea of a predictable release schedule for
launchpadlib and lazr.restfulclient. I don't think "we release only once
a month" makes sense, because that would slow down the rate at which
improvements to these packages make it into Launchpad. But a policy of
"we release _at least_ once a month" would avoid the problem I think jml
is complaining about, where a useful launchpadlib change lands on
November 26 and there's no release until December 17, when I need to do
a release so I can land a Launchpad branch.

Leonard