Re: Building an alternative user interface to Launchpad

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Ian Clatworthy
<ian.clatworthy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Martin Pilkington wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Following on from my previous email about minor improvements that could be made to Launchpad, I started playing around with more drastic redesigns. While doing this a thought occurred to me about what Launchpad actually is. At the moment the user interface is a website, but in reality Launchpad is quite a complex application. As such is may be nearly impossible to try and make a great user interface for it if you try to work from the base of building a high end website. A better approach would be to build it as a fully fledged application.
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> Those mockups were great! Thanks for putting these together.
>
>> I'm proposing building an alternative UI for Launchpad using the Cappuccino framework. Due to the Launchpad API, this could be a completely separate project and could be provided as an alternative UI. As a completely separate project focused purely on UI, it would allow for a much more unified and consistent UI, which will hopefully end up being easier to use. It will also work more like a fully fledged application, allowing for a more powerful and potentially more customisable user interface.
>>
>> I will likely start working on this over christmas or in the new year, but it was suggested I post here to see if anyone else would be interested in contributing.
>
> I'm also planning to experiment over xmas with making Bazaar Explorer a
> better "LP desktop client". The integration with LP code hosting and
> merge proposals is pretty nice now[1] but there's plenty of scope for
> making the workflow even smoother IMO.

FWIW, Alex Lourie <djay.il@xxxxxxxxx> and ajmctaggart
<ajmctaggart@xxxxxxxxx> have been discussing similar things on the
Ayatana list.

Also, Rick Spencer has been working on a desktop bug management
program called Bughugger -- https://launchpad.net/bughugger.

Perhaps there is some scope for working together :)

jml