Re: Using a signal to switch to read-only mode

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 10:46 +0700, Stuart Bishop wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps a similar method could be used in future for site-wide
> > notifications.  <https://dev.launchpad.net/NotificationSystem>.  For
> > example if there is a site-wide-notification.txt, it can contain
> > configuration for a message to be displayed in a banner at the top of
> > some or all html pages.
>
> I'd rather pull this information from the database or even ajax load
> it from a static URL. Coordinating the .txt files over all the
> different appserver trees is a pain we should avoid when possible.

Er, which database? Wouldn't that make the whole "read-only" thing a
little more problematic (i.e. how do you switch out of read-only when
you're checking a DB that's not writable)?

I agree that text files across multiple servers can complicate things a
little, but we have scripts that can very easily manage this kind of
thing, so from a LOSA perspective it's not something I'm worried about.