Re: Using a signal to switch to read-only mode

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Tom Haddon <tom.haddon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 10:46 +0700, Stuart Bishop wrote:
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Perhaps a similar method could be used in future for site-wide
> notifications.  <https://dev.launchpad.net/NotificationSystem>.  For
> example if there is a site-wide-notification.txt, it can contain
> configuration for a message to be displayed in a banner at the top of
> some or all html pages.

I'd rather pull this information from the database or even ajax load
it from a static URL. Coordinating the .txt files over all the
different appserver trees is a pain we should avoid when possible.

Er, which database? Wouldn't that make the whole "read-only" thing a
little more problematic (i.e. how do you switch out of read-only when
you're checking a DB that's not writable)?

We got off topic and are discussing banner notifications. Nothing to do with read only mode except a better way to inform users if it is impending.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/