Re: Test suite hanging under xvfb-run

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:53:16AM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Now that the windmill tests are mandatory,  I would like to run the test
> suite under xvfb-run, as our test_on_merge.py script does.  But it hangs
> for me reproducibly on testPPAUploadResultingInNoBuilds:
>
> $ xvfb-run bin/test -t testPPAUploadResultingInNoBuilds
> Running canonical.testing.layers.LaunchpadZopelessLayer tests:
>   Set up canonical.testing.layers.BaseLayer in 0.025 seconds.
>   Set up canonical.testing.layers.ZopelessLayer in 7.735 seconds.
>   Set up canonical.testing.layers.DatabaseLayer in 0.866 seconds.
>   Set up canonical.testing.layers.LibrarianLayer in 8.597 seconds.
>   Set up canonical.testing.layers.MemcachedLayer in 0.135 seconds.
>   Set up canonical.testing.layers.LaunchpadLayer in 0.000 seconds.
>   Set up canonical.testing.layers.LaunchpadScriptLayer in 0.008 seconds.
>   Set up canonical.testing.layers.LaunchpadZopelessLayer in 0.000 seconds.

Yes, I can see the same behaviour here. It could be a problem that
occurs on karmic, but not on hardy (which ec2 and buildbot is using).
Are you using karmic as well? Could you file a bug about this? It
certainly is something that we should fix. It doesn't have to be to
figure out exactly what's wrong (even though that would be good), but
another solution would be to start xvfb in the Windmill layer only. If
you file a bug on it, maybe we can convice Paul to fix it, if he's up
for it :)

> It's not tragic, because I can use a VNC server instead, but it worries
> me that our test suite and xvfb-run can so easily stop working together.

s/xvfb-run/any external dependency/. We have a lot of problems with the
test suite stop working between Ubuntu releases.

--
Björn Tillenius | https://launchpad.net/~bjornt