Trouble with initialize-from-parent.py and maybe the sampledata

I've prepared a branch:

https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~maxb/launchpad/ignored-asserts

which fixes some assert statements which were inadvertently having no
effect. It fails tests, because an assert which apparently should have
been triggering all along now triggers.

The problem is the test of initialize-from-parent.py, which is used to
test initialization of a new series parented from ubuntu/hoary - except
apparently the sampledata ubuntu/hoary has pending builds, which fails
the assert.

1) Is there anyone who knows about initialize-from-parent.py and could
suggest an alternate series with pending builds that could be used in
this test without otherwise sacrificing test coverage?

2) If not, can anyone advise me how best to familiarize myself with the
existing Soyuz sampledata, such that I could attempt to fix the test?

Thanks,
Max.