Re: Build branch to Archive UI

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:59:45 Michael Hudson wrote:
> Tim Penhey wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I've been spending more time looking at this, and I want to make sure we
> > start getting some traction on the UI to build.
> >
> > I'm not yet convinced that showing existing recipes is useful at this
> > stage. We aren't yet clear ourselves why we'd want to do this or what it
> > would mean.
>
> I know we talked about this a bit this morning, but now I'm not so sure.
>    Even in the current model, a recipe encodes enough information that
> you probably don't want to select the packaging branch each and every
> time you want to build.

I'm not suggesting that we show the full dialog every time someone wants to
build, just when they are creating the recipe.

Once the recipe is created we show this on the branch page (mockup pending)
and there is where we have the build button (if one is not running or
waiting).

> > By that I mean that we don't
> > automatically reschedule builds to happen daily, but have a "build now"
> > type button that creates a build job if and only if there isn't one
> > waiting or running already.  This button should obviously not be there if
> > there is one waiting or pending.
>
> Are you saying that for any branch, there can only be one build of a
> recipe that has the given branch as its base_branch?  I'm not sure
> that's really what we want.

No, that is not what I'm saying.

What I am saying is that for any given recipe connected to the branch there is
zero or one waiting or running build job.

> > With this in mind, we'd be creating a recipe from one of two places:
> >  - a project branch (no packaging info - or most likely no packaging
> > info) - a packaging branch (may have trunk merged in)
> >    * are we even going to allow this for now?
>
> For now, for the sake of doing something, let's not?

Ok.

> > Perhaps we start off really strict, and slowly roll out options.  This
> > I'm in favour with, especially with the feature branch merge work that
> > Bjorn is championing.
>
> Yeah.  It feels like we're verging on analysis paralysis now.

Me too.

> > I suggest a somewhat limited initial cut for the build from branch.
> > Attached is my first mockup with Balsamiq.  I don't offer a revision to
> > build, only show the current and development distro series.
>
> We still don't have a way to represent a multi distroseries recipe.  For
> now we could just create multiple recipes.
>
> We probably want to allow the name of a SourcePackageRecipe to be NULL
> if we're going to go for these throw-away type recipes to start with.

Do we want multi-distroseries recipes?

I'm not suggesting throw-away recipes.

Tim