Re: Clarifying our terminology

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Matthew Revell
<matthew.revell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm reading through the Bazaar versus Git discussion that the Drupal
> community are having [1].
>
> There are some interesting comments and I recommend you read as much
> as you have time for. Several stuck with me and I'd like us to talk
> about one in particular:

Thanks for sending this through Matt. I think this is a really helpful
avenue of attack on our broader user experience issues.

> The terminology we use in Launchpad has always struck me as one of our
> biggest barriers for newcomers. I understand why we have some unusual
> terminology: in some cases, we're dealing with concepts that don't
> crop elsewhere or, at the least, aren't adequately described
> elsewhere.
>
> Even though we may have good reasons for some of our unusual terms, I
> think they're a problem nonetheless. Should we consider changing some
> of the less obvious terms? Or is there something we can do to make our
> terminology and concepts instantly understandable to someone using
> Launchpad for the first time?

We should definitely consider it, and even do it!

What's next? What do you think are the terms we need to start thinking about?

jml