Re: [RFC-UI] indicate which Launchpad services are not linked to upstream projects

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:20 AM, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4 March 2010 16:32, Edwin Grubbs <edwin.grubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I would appreciate any feedback on this proposal for displaying users
>> which services are unconfigured. This is very closely related to the
>> proposal that Curtis emailed with the subject "RFC Changing
>> permissions to allow contributors to set upstream information", but
>> this document is only concerned with the project index page.
>>
>> The wiki page with screenshots can be viewed at:
>> https://dev.launchpad.net/Registry/InvolvementPortletRefactor
>
> Hi, this sounds like a point of dissatisfaction at the moment and
> something worth improving.
>
> I don't really understand the "one community/two communities" thing.

In the "one community" scenario, project owners would have much more
control over how Launchpad is used by their community.

"Two communities" basically means that sometimes a user wants to activate
a Launchpad service for a project even though that same service is provided
by another website. For translations, it would generally be bad to allow this,
but it should be possible for community members to use Launchpad code
hosting despite the official repository being somewhere else. Since we don't
want a bunch of redundant projects in Launchpad if they aren't a full fledged
fork, we are trying to make the permissions flexible.

> The axes seem correct, as does your assessment that it is more than
> just a "uses/doesn't use Launchpad" dichotomy.
>
> In the discussion of particular services you seem to touch on some
> pretty large issues (like filing via Launchpad into the upstream bug
> tracker).  I guess you're saying that would be nice to do eventually
> but it's not in the scope of this proposal?
>
> The "Ideas to make Launchpad usage clear" look good and perhaps should
> be expanded.  It seems like this should perhaps ultimately turn into a
> banner displayed on the app pages that says eg
>
> "there are community branches here but note that the official trunk is at ..."
> or "please do not file bugs here, use ..."
>
>> Users who think Launchpad is hosting service for their project want official control over tabs and services, that undermines other communities; we will not honour the owners demand to become an island.
>
> What does that mean?

This basically means that we don't think project owners should be able to
prevent the usage of Launchpad services for their project, if it could
be beneficial
to the community.

-Edwin