Re: Do you care about `make lint`

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 16:02 +0000, Tom Berger wrote:
> On 11 March 2010 15:51, Curtis Hovey <curtis.hovey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I had to make a change to sample data to accommodate a migration script.
> > `make lint` correctly reported there was problem and told me to run
> > makenewsampledata. I was surprised to see hundreds of lines changed for
> > when the migration script only added 15 lines. Most of the changes
> > relate to bug heat schema changes. This is not the first time this has
> > happened to me. In fact, this has always happened to me.
> >
> > I add the sampledata check to make lint because engineers were
> > complaining that they could not find their changes in the diff. I added
> > this feature because it was requested, but I think I am the only
> > engineer who is fixing the data. I want to remove this feature...this is
> > not my problem.
> >
> > Since make lint will always report the issue, I strongly suspect
> > engineers are not running make lint at all.
>
> Another thing that happens quite a lot (and I must admit I'm guilty
> myself) is that people do run lint, but ignore warnings that they know
> for certain are not a result of the changes they introduced. If we
> want to enforce lint we could have buildbot run it, but if we do we'll
> have to make sure it produces a reasonable set of warnings.

Yes. The warning are a problem. The lint we use is derived from a script
I wrote in 2002. I added some hacks that were in the lint script I found
in the tree circa 2007.

I do not use my old script anymore, though I do use make lint for every
branch I submit. The reason I know most of the warning are spurious is
because I use my 100% python lint library that I embedded in gedit. It
is pyflakes + pep8 + python standard lib, and it is very fast.

We can switch to my new lib. There is one consequence--my script will
not complain about undefined variables in doctest. I think that is a
test runner issue, not a lint issue, so I do not support it.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/