Re: Apocalypse Interruptus

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 11:01 +0000, Jonathan Lange wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Before we open sourced Launchpad we thought that it would be a good
> idea to split up the gargantuan swamp of files in
> lib/canonical/launchpad/ and move them into the 'lp' package, breaking
> them up by application and using dependency rules as a tie-breaker.
> Thus, bugs code lives in lp.bugs, which depends on lp.registry but not
> lp.code, everything depends on lp.services, etc. We called this
> project the Launchpad apocalypse.
>
> I still think this is a really good idea. Knowing what you can safely
> ignore is a great way to tackle complexity, and this is the best way I
> know of reducing the amount of code that one has to think about.
>
> In any case, lib/canonical/launchpad is still a mess. We should get
> our files out of there into a place where people can find them. I've
> attached a graph that charts the progress we've made toward this.
> Canonical folk can find this graph at
> https://lpstats.canonical.com/graphs/CodeBaseFileCount/20090101/20100326/.
>
> Let's bring it down to zero.

Only a handful of us have experience using the migrater tools. Those
need updating for many of the remaining files because they are not
applications. Deryck and I looked at the issue in the team leads sprint
last February. Teaching the migrater a little more services will make
this task easier to perform.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/