Re: Exposing newCodeImport

On 27/03/10 04:53, James Westby wrote:
Hi all,

I'm working on code imports so that I can script some things needed for
UDD.

Woo!

I've got it to the stage where I have IBranchTarget.newCodeImport() and
I want to expose this method over the API. I have two questions about
how to do that though.

However, I can't simply expose it, as it isn't on the actual branch
targets. I'd like to know what the best way to do this is.

IBranchTarget has several implementations, one for each of product,
sourcepackage, person, and productseries. I want the method to be only
available on the first two if possible, but it's fine if it has to be
all four, as it is part of the interface after all.

I can add newCodeImport methods to IProduct and ISourcePackage that just
do

    def newCodeImport(...):
        return IBranchTarget(self).newCodeImport(...)

but that seems like unnecessary duplication.

Is there some way that I can tell lazr.restful to consider IBranchTarget
when looking at what to export on IProduct etc?

I *think* but without checking the code or really knowing for sure that you have to make IProduct inherit from IBranchTarget to do this. But IIRC products are not IBranchTargets, they are adaptable to IBranchTargets, and I don't think adaptation is (or really could be) a concept that translates into the API.

Does anyone know of a similar situation elsewhere that I can look at for
inspiration?

The second issue is with the "registrant" argument to
newCodeImport. This eventually becomes the owner of the created branch.

For my use case I want to specify this, as I don't want my user to own
all the branches. However, for API simplicity it shouldn't be required.

If I use @call_with(registrant=REQUEST_USER) will that prevent it from
being specified by the caller?

Is the correct solution to use @call_with() as above, but allow and
optional owner parameter that defaults to registrant?

That would solve the issue, and also prevent the registrant of the code
import being recorded as a team, so it sounds like the best solution.

Yes, that all sounds sane.

In addition, I presume I need to add in access control, so that I can't
create a code import owned by any user, only teams that I am part of. Is
there an idiom for that?

I'm pretty sure you can describe a parameter to a named operation as a schema field, so in this case you'd set it to be a ReferenceChoice for the appropriate vocabulary -- can't remember what it's called, but it certainly exists, the Branch +edit page uses it.

Hope this was helpful, please don't be *too* surprised if its a bit inaccurate in places.

Cheers,
mwh