Great UI design: Pivotal Tracker, a simple story-based planning tool

Hi everyone,

A large part of user interface design is inspiration, so I would like to share with you a project planning tool that has what I think is a very well-designed user interface. It is a Jolt Award-winning free service called Pivotal Tracker.

From their site: "Tracker is a free, award winning, agile project management tool that enables real time collaboration around a shared, prioritized backlog." The tool follows SCRUM in a way very similar to how we were doing it. (See http://www.pivotaltracker.com/learnmore if you want details.)

This short video shows all of the user interface features in action. It is only 3:26 long, and worth a few moments to watch:

  http://bit.ly/L4QES

Some things I noted:

* This is opinionated software: the workflow is built into the tool. It uses intelligent defaults, but it is also configurable.

* The next step for a work item is always a big, colourful button. Very fast and simple to use.

* The tool seamlessly recalculates completion dates and velocities for you as you reorganize items. Automation at its best.

* The in-list expandable tickets are a nice way to hide the many ticket options like Status, Category, Attachments, and Progress until you need them, either to update something or to correct a mistake. (visible at 2:50 in the video)

* The "View" drop-down menu makes for nice universal navigation (visible at 2:25 in the video).

* The "Actions" drop-down menu is a nice idea that makes bulk updates easy (and makes the web application usable on the iPhone, where you do not have drag and drop).

* Clever how the push-buttons in the top-left let you create your own one, two, three, or four column layout.

  * Great use of colour, fonts, icons, and so forth.

If you want to see more, such as the personal dashboard, there is also an "Advanced features" video available at http://www.pivotaltracker.com/learnmore

Look to what works!

Maris