performance dashboard?

I was at devopsdownunder last weekend and saw a demo of a very
interesting tool. Have a look at
http://rpm.newrelic.com/v2/accounts/12842/applications/113766 -
ignoring the bling, its a tool for individual and aggregated
statistics on *every single request* going through an application
stack.

Kind of what we get with oops reports (database time, python time) but
pervasive rather than only-on-the-broken-requests.

I think one of the challenges with performance work at the moment -
and please, correct me if I'm wrong - is that individual developers
can't easily, routinely see where things are at. Right now, when
someone asks 'why is xxx slow', the best we can do is:
 - add ++oops++ to the url to trigger an oops
 - wait 3 +- 3 minutes for it to sync
 - look it up on the oops website

This has two issues:
 - we can't see if its *usual* for that page to be slow, or if its
unusually slow for one individual.
 - its slow and cumbersome.

For instance, if we want 100ms page generation, it would be terribly
useful to be able to see that right now, on average, we're spending
(say) 60ms in the database.

Now, I'm not suggesting we go out and invent such a dashboard itself -
there's going to be a tonne of investment needed to do that, but
perhaps there is an open source version of this out there already for
zope apps? Or perhaps we could look at providing a zope plugin to talk
to newrelic?

A couple of reports to close with:
 - slow requests
http://rpm.newrelic.com/v2/accounts/12842/applications/113766/transactions#sort_by=slowest
 - what makes one in particular slow
http://rpm.newrelic.com/v2/accounts/12842/applications/113766/transactions#id=8812069&sort_by=slowest

The last one is essentially one of our oops, but shinier (which
doesn't matter to me)

-Rob

Follow ups