Re: API issue moving branches

On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:46:50 -0400, Leonard Richardson <leonard.richardson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I think you may be going a little far in assuming that he would have
> > been making 2 http requests in a "new" setup. That requires using a
> > shared cache, which is unacceptable to some applications without writing
> > their own cache implementation right now. (The alternative is fixing the
> > bug in httplib2 or lazr.restfulclient and waiting for it to be widely
> > deployed.)
>
> Can you elaborate? I'm not sure which bug you're talking about. I know
> that shared caches are problematic when you're running launchpadlib in a
> multithreaded environment.

Multi-threaded and multi-process.

If there is a chance that you will have two clients running at the same
time then you don't want them to share caches. For some applications
this is highly likely, and so using a shared cache is a bad idea, and so
you either have to implement a new cache, or pay the startup cost every
time.

Thanks,

James