Re: Anyone here doing Launchpad development in VMs?

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 15:09 +0100, Julian Edwards wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 May 2010 15:07:35 Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > On 05/25/2010 10:04 AM, Julian Edwards wrote:
> > > I was using kvm with a CPU that has the virtual extensions.  At the time,
> > > it took about 4 hours instead of the normal 3h 30m natively.
> > >
> > > Maybe it was disk contention?
> >
> > Most likely.  I always see lots of IOWait when I run the test suite.  (I
> > use the System Monitor applet and have IOWait set to a different colour.)
>
> My laptop with an Intel i5 and SSD runs the tests in about 2h 30m so it seems
> disk speed is a large factor.

We once thought the disk would be mostly used by postgres when running
the tests, but it looks like we were wrong as storing postgres' data in
a ramdisk didn't give even half of the gains you got with the SSD.

Any ideas what is doing all this disk access?  Is it worth finding out
or should we just get SSDs to the boxes that run the buildbot slaves? ;)

--
Guilherme Salgado <https://launchpad.net/~salgado>