Re: [tech] ACL system

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 2:05 AM, Gary Poster <gary.poster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Björn.
>
> I have a few notes.
> - Cacheing should be an increasingly important aspect of our performance concerns, particularly of fundamental design decisions like this one.  I'd like to have some thoughts and discussion on how this plan affects cacheing (via something like memcache).  The approach to searching you discuss, for instance, should be driven from, or at the least informed by, both user interface goals and performance concerns, IMO.

I would like to raise a small red flag here. Caching is too fine
grained a focus:  we should understand as much as we can how any new
thing will perform and affect existing performance work. Sometimes the
answer will be 'no widespread impact' and sometimes 'massive impact
haaaaalp'.

Caching stuff is /hard/. No really. Right now caching is the new
hotness we're starting to deploy, but it is ultimately only one route
to performance, and we're likely to want to be able to pull it out and
do things with less overhead as soon as we can, or do it differently.

Further to that, consider that we just *deleted* an entire cache from
the codehost system (the mirrored area) to make things simpler, lower
latency and more understandable. Right now our caching strategy isn't
deeply integrated into our system, and is positioned besides rather
than through our API's.

I'm sure that caching will remain part of our environment, but its
important (to me) that its no more than
part-of-checking-overall-performance.

Holisticly yrs,
Rob