Re: [tech] ACL system

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Gary Poster <gary.poster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On May 25, 2010, at 9:27 AM, Bjorn Tillenius wrote:
>
>> So, we want to do have an ACL system in Launchpad, to be able to have
>> private projects. I'm attaching acl.txt from
>> lp:~bjornt/launchpad/privacy-spike, which hopefully explains the system
>> good enough. Jono, is this document something that you can show
>> stakeholders, or would you prefer something. I'm hoping that the
>> overview part will be enough for them. I'm happy to extend it as needed.

> - I'd argue that a user interface and workflow should drive our goals.  I'd also say that it is the right way to present the plans when we request feedback from our stakeholders.  I'm concerned that this document appears to be approached exclusively from the perspective of internal API, which I feel is very important, but about implementation, not direction.  Does a user-focussed document about these changes already exist somewhere?

As stated before, we have a requirements document at
https://dev.launchpad.net/LEP/BetterPrivacy. We've asked the Launchpad
Stakeholder group for feedback, have got some, and what's there
represents everything anyone hopes for in privacy wrt Launchpad. These
requirements should drive our goals, not the user interface.

Given that we have those requirements, it's a Good Thing to start to
write down our thoughts about the object model, even without a user
interface. Of course, we should start thinking about the UI as soon as
possible, and we should let that drive the API.

Should we present this document to our stakeholders? Are there good
reasons not to?

jml