Re: Report: +translate page research

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 14:02 +0200, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> У сре, 26. 05 2010. у 17:13 +0100, Matthew Revell пише:
>
> > At UDS-M, my Canonical colleague Charline Poirier and I interviewed
> > four Launchpad Translations user to ask them what they thought of a
> > proposed new design for the Launchpad +translate page.

Many thanks for the report!

> Thanks a lot for this.  I guess the problem with doing computer mockups
> is that people expect them to fully work.  Most of the problems noticed
> were simply because mock-up is, well, a mock-up, without full
> implementation of the behaviour.

I don't think that the problem was from the "computer mockup", but
rather from an incomplete mockup. By just puting a filter combo box on
the "computer mockup", even thought it was not function, it would still
hint that from there you can filter translations.

> I wonder how would results be different if we used paper mock-ups as you
> suggested one time.

Maybe a full mockup would help or a big warning that those missing
features are known.

> > That page is where translators and reviewers do the bulk of their
> > work, so the suitability of its design has a strong impact on how easy
> > or hard it is to translate in Launchpad.
> >
> > My report is here:
> >
> > https://dev.launchpad.net/Strategy/Research/UDS-M/Translations
>
> Excellent: thanks.  I've added a bunch of comments there, and linked it
> from our "User input" section on https://dev.launchpad.net/Translations

I have also added my comments on the wiki page.

Also, I tried my luck with a mockup from presenting a translation
message to a translator (no review functionality, no pagination/no
filtering/no search...etc) and also added a few comments there.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/174543/lp-translations-pofile-message-with-error-translator-newUI.png

As noted in the wiki, I think that we will need to gather some feedback
from a broader audience, like drive-by translators or upstream
translators. Using unmoderated, remote usability testing should be
enough to harvest some feedback from the Launchpad Translations users.

Adi Roiban