Re: Comments for translations

Hi Rovanion,
thank you for your proposal. We are always looking for ways of improving the
translatoin process.

Am 01.06.2010 21:19, schrieb Rovanion Luckey:
> There should be a comment field for each and every translated string on
> launchpad.

I have to tell you that this is not a new proposal. It also relates to the
"translator comment" feature in the gettext file format (po files), although I
think you have a full blown discussion feature in mind, like on bugs etc.

> The reason for this is communication. Many of us translators do not know
> each other in any way. We do not have any way of communication than the
> translations we do in launchpad. There once in a while happens that
> there are different suggestions for ways to translate a string, but
> there is no way for the translators to communicate in between each other
> and discuss the specific translation except for direct messages.

Communication between translators and central translation standards are very
important to achieve a high quality in translations. Usually the translators
for a specific language within a translation group organize themselves around
a mailing list and possible a wiki. Ubuntu translation teams and their web
pages can be found here:
https://translations.launchpad.net/+groups/ubuntu-translators

For non-Ubuntu translation teams please look here:
https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/+groups/launchpad-translators

So, discussion is essential and setting up translation guidelines is very much
encouraged.

> To allow the translations to become as good as absolutely possible
> commenting is a must. It will both directly result in better
> translations and less friction between translators.

I do agree that it would be useful for a translator to leave *a* comment with
the translation to explain why this translation was chosen. For the actual
*discussion* there are other means that already exist, as mentioned above.

There is a very old (5 years) bug about this.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/rosetta/+bug/25

Launchpad is open source so you are welcome to contribute and implement this
feature. Please read https://dev.launchpad.net/ about how that works and come
back to us for support before you begin. ;)

Cheers,
Henning