Re: RFC: One True Way of addressing notification emails.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Graham Binns <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm currently getting stuck into the better bugnotifications story[1]
> and I think we need to settle how notifications from Launchpad should
> be addressed. I'm working on three bugs, specifically:

So I think I recall why it was done the way it is done. We pretty much
copied Roundup, which at the time had the best reputation for email
interaction.

Roundup wanted to intercept the conversation between people as
transparently as possible. So replies go through roundup and are
relayed to all subscribers. Emails that came from Bugtracker
<xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> obfuscate the sender so you don't know who it came
from. Emails that came from Real Name <xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> screw up
address books - you would end up with loads of bogus entries for
people and end up sending private email to the bug tracker. So Richard
settled on using the genuine name and email address, but subverting
the replies to go via the tracker.

(adding Barry to the CC: list since he probably knows the best answer
from 84 years of empirical studies with Mailman)

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/