RFC: One True Way of addressing notification emails.

Hi folks,

I'm currently getting stuck into the better bugnotifications story[1]
and I think we need to settle how notifications from Launchpad should
be addressed. I'm working on three bugs, specifically:

 * launchpad leaks private email addresses when sending mail [2]
 * Malone comments are sent in email and forge the address of the
person who filed them [3]
 * Bug notifications have personal To: header but aren't personal [4]

I had planned to fix the first two of these bugs in one branch by
simply having all bug notifications have From address of
$bugno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, as can be seen in [5]. However, after a bit
of investigation, Deryck pointed out that merge proposal notifications
have a From address of the Person who triggered the notification with
the Reply-to being set to the MP itself.

So, question #1: What should the From: address be for bug
notifications? There are two possible options, as I see it:

 1. Always use $bugno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 2. Use the Person's preferred email address where possible (i.e
assuming they have one and that they haven't marked their email
addresses as private), otherwise use $bugno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

To compensate people who like to filter bugmail by sender, I'd
proposed adding an X-Launchpad-Sender header to the bugmail,
containing the user's LP name. This could still be used for both of
the above solutions.

As for the third bug, I'm trying to work out a way to have an
impersonal To address for bugmail (probably $bugno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
or some noreply address). The first solution to come to mind was to
have:

 To: $bugno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Bcc: graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Which seems to fit the description of the bug. I'm open to other
solutions, however.

I think it makes sense to standardise on this across Launchpad, so if
there's something that already exists to handle all this please point
it out to me so I can see if it's reusable.

TIA,

Graham

 [1] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/malone/+bugs?field.tag=story-better-bug-notification
 [2] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+bug/111147