Re: rollout changes to reduce downtime - linked to 'release features when they are ready'

On Tuesday 20 July 2010 00:20:56 Michael Hudson wrote:
> For the buildd-manager, I think it's actually fairly easy -- the manager
> itself is basically stateless, so assuming it has a way to orderly exit
> after a scan, I think:
>
>   install code for new buildd-manager
>   shut down old manager
>   start manager from new code
>   remove old code
>
> will be a low impact event.  You should check this with Julian though

Pretty much.

Having said that, this has never affected us during restarts, but I'd like to
find a way of delaying its shutdown until the current scans are all finished,
because they currently fork off an uploader process when collecting builds.
If the b-m code isn't called to finalise the build after the upload completes,
you end up with the same build getting dispatched again, which isn't fatal but
makes the UI look rather odd.