Re: rollout changes to reduce downtime - linked to 'release features when they are ready'

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Julian Edwards
<julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Having said that, this has never affected us during restarts, but I'd like to
> find a way of delaying its shutdown until the current scans are all finished,
> because they currently fork off an uploader process when collecting builds.
> If the b-m code isn't called to finalise the build after the upload completes,
> you end up with the same build getting dispatched again, which isn't fatal but
> makes the UI look rather odd.

A simple way to do this is to use a file on disk to trigger 'stop this
service'. So shutdown would be:
 - write a stop file
 - wait for the process to finish

That said, there is a bug open for cronscripts to have a single
unified 'do not run' check - and the buildd sequencer would be better
off leveraging whatever check it uses, so you don't need a special
mechanism. https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+bug/607391
is the umbrella bug about it - please do jump in and itemise what the
buildd managers constraints on that check would be.

_Rob