How do I support older API calls when changing the underlying model?

Hi Leonard,

I'm in the situation where I'm wanting to split up a status field on the branch
merge proposal into two.  However there is an existing API that is used to
fetch merge proposals.

How do we continue to support the older methods when changing the underlying
model?  Should we even try?

I'm wanting to break the queue_status member into merge_status and
review_status.  I was also considering "re-using" the
BranchMergeProposalStatus enum for the merge_status with changed values.

However I feel that this is more likely to break something.

I'm at a bit of a loss to know where to start with supporting the old method
where the method directly gets values from an enumerated type I'm changing.

Should I instead of reusing the BranchMergeProposalStatus enum, create two new
ones (instead of just one new one)?

How do I have a method that is only supported in an old API version?

Help greatly needed,
Tim