Re: architecture review progress

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:51 AM, Paul Hummer <paul.hummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:47:47 +0200
> Robert Collins <robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>   * It is non-trivial to do out-of-transaction events: actions are
>> very tightly coupled to their context, either in the DB or in the
>> webapp. The jobs systems are of sufficiently high friction that they
>> aren't the first tool developers reach for, and so they aren't
>> immediately useful
>
> I'm curious why you think that the job system is "of sufficiently high
> friction."  It's commonly the first tool I reach for.  Granted it could
> make improvements like using messaging instead of cron jobs, but that's
> an issue that spans Launchpad.

I'm not entirely sure myself, however there appear to be quite a few
frequency based things around that are intrinsically event driven, and
they aren't all 5 years old :). There isn't - sadly - a single bug /
design aspect that I can point to and say 'if that were better,
everyone would reach for this tool first'. If I were to make some
guesses - the system (AIUI) requires a bunch of manual work to provide
a robust debuggable 'do things later' mechanism, on a case by case
basis. So adding a table is pretty high friction; writing new UI's for
the same table is pretty high friction.

-Rob