Re: tuesday - performance day!

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Julian Edwards
<julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So I guess the question is, does allmembers have to be a property?  It sounds
> like it needs to be a method to me.

Well, allmembers isn't the problem: its the other properties that are
the problem :). If we make them all into methods so that you have to
ask for them directly, then the API will be fast, but the equivalent
web page may still be slow if it actually has to call the methods
because of what its showing.

Handwaving: I'd like to have a flexible way of saying "I need these
attributes (x, y,z) of the members of this collection
(some-GenericCollection-subclass)" and have all the needed related sql
expressions banged on automatically, then delivered as a result set of
the right objects, with those related things precached.

Short term, doing what code does and manually decorating with a
caching object may be the only sane way forward - we can probably make
that pretty programmer efficient with some care; long term - well, see
the handwaving, and I have some BigPicture ideas about how we talk to
persistent storage etc which may be interesting to pursue, but not
until we've got the fundamentals pinned down: scalability,
responsiveness, transparency in our production environment.

-Rob