Re: memcache, responsiveness and load {short story, lets turn memcache off}

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 08:33 -0400, Curtis Hovey wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 22:28 +1200, Robert Collins wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Stuart Bishop
> > <stuart.bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Which bugs? The only open ones I'm aware of are feature requests which
> > > I don't think are on anyone's radar to address.
> >
> > As Martin says, milestone and bugs pages are caching inappropriately.
> > https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/601051 was originally
> > filed in a pretty general way, got refreshed today.
> This bug about flushing caches is the old bug reported by a user about
> memcached
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+bug/593054

We can remove the bug caching from milestones to the detriment of some
large projects. There were and continue to be timeouts--caching never
fixed the core issue, and it was not intended. The issue really is
having time to work on milestones.

We can remove all caching, or some, like bugs, blueprints, or activity.
I do not expect the timeouts to return to their peaks because I landed a
branch that addresses the expensive permission checks on bugs.
ProjectGroups are more likely to timeout since the aggregate milestones
from their projects. Do we want to remove caching from ProjectGroups
too?

The real issue appears to be the diversity of objects in play, bugs,
specs, *and* users. The formatting of users and bus can be very
expensive. Some may recall I sent out an email about the cost of
formatting 250 users with icons--icons that rarely change. bugs get
expensive because we decorate them with badges. We remove bug tags after
a day on edge because that lead to timeouts on small projects. In
general, developers need to see a lot of information to plan a release
and the proposed solution of AJAX and/or batching requires feature-class
planning.

My calendar is booked until 2011, so fixing milestones requires the
assistance.

--

__C U R T I S  C.  H O V E Y___________
No matter where you go...there you are.