Re: memcache, responsiveness and load {short story, lets turn memcache off}

On 2010-08-04 19:10, Robert Collins wrote:

For clarity, I'm proposing removing all the uses of it that users are
noticing (and thus complaining about) - not removing the facility from
the datacentre: memcached is a good tool and its good that we have it
available.

If the main problem is "user changes something but doesn't see the change reflected in the page," that's the same problem we have with replication lag. Couldn't we solve that in the same way, by having a user bypass memcached for a while after a POST?

(Yeah, I know, slower pages. But set the duration of that special state to 10 seconds and have memcached invalidate after 10 seconds, and we'll still get effective "slashdot protection" while hiding all unwanted caching effects at minimal cost to the user.)

Jeroen