Re: Isolating shipit

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 14:27:45 -0400, Brad Crittenden <bac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Last week I attempted to refactor and migrate some classes from
> canonical.launchpad to lp.app.  After getting it mostly done I
> discovered there was a dependency on some of those classes from shipit.
>  Due to the timing in the cycle we decided it was too risky to attempt a
> change to shipit, so the branch was deferred.  This issue has come up
> several times recently.
>
> Curtis and I propose introducing a new module (perhaps 'lp.shipit') that
> re-exports the symbols shipit depends upon.  The rule going forward
> would be that shipit is not permitted to have any other dependencies.
> If our code moves around, shipit will not have to change, we'll just
> change the definitions in lp.shipit.
>
> Unless there are objections we will implement this change before the end
> of week 1.

I think this is basically a fine idea, however what would be the
implications of being more extreme and not rolling out to shipit during
Launchpad rollouts?  Then we could just forget about shipit, something
we'd all be happy about I think.

The obvious risk is that database changes might break shipit, but as it
accesses an entirely (I think) distinct set of tables to Launchpad, this
probably isn't too bad.

Cheers,
mwh