Re: Isolating shipit

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 14:27 -0400, Brad Crittenden wrote:
> Last week I attempted to refactor and migrate some classes from
> canonical.launchpad to lp.app.  After getting it mostly done I
> discovered there was a dependency on some of those classes from shipit.
>  Due to the timing in the cycle we decided it was too risky to attempt a
> change to shipit, so the branch was deferred.  This issue has come up
> several times recently.
>
> Curtis and I propose introducing a new module (perhaps 'lp.shipit') that
> re-exports the symbols shipit depends upon.  The rule going forward
> would be that shipit is not permitted to have any other dependencies.
> If our code moves around, shipit will not have to change, we'll just
> change the definitions in lp.shipit.
>
> Unless there are objections we will implement this change before the end
> of week 1.

I like that idea as it will make refactorings in canonical.launchpad.*
much easier.  Big +1 from me.

Last I heard, though, the long term plan was to have ISD rewrite shipit
using django as they did with SSO, so I think we should also try to bump
the priority of such task if shipit is slowing us down in any way.  This
is orthogonal to what Brad's proposing, but I thought it'd be worth
mentioning.

--
Guilherme Salgado <https://launchpad.net/~salgado>